Document Matching

If you fail to report income on your tax return which was reported to the IRS on a document (such as an interest statement from your bank), the audit adjustment is all but automatic. If you receive interest, brokerage statements, or other information returns with the wrong amounts, try to get a corrected copy. If you can't get a corrected copy, include your explanation with your return as to why you are reporting a different number on your return.